Saturday, September 20, 2014

Love at First Hold




        Great literature and music through the ages have waxed eloquently on the experience of love at first sight.  But for me, with our very first pet it was love at first hold.

        There we were at the pet store getting treats for some neighbor's dogs, when we happened to wander over to an area where there were some dogs.  A couple were on some newspapers in a wire enclosure, visible to the public.  I looked down, and there was this tiny, probably 8-week-old little black velvety puppy.  His eyes were closed, and a bigger puppy, a rather feisty Chow was trying to play with what would be our doggie.  I picked up this little furry thing, and bingo, fell head over heels in love.  My husband was watching this, and after some time of no doubt seeing the rapturous look on my face--can't begin to describe what I was feeling at that moment--got out his checkbook and said, "Well, I guess we have to take this one home."

        As anyone who knows who has fallen in love with an animal, it is an experience that borders on the divine.  Words fail when one tries to capture the feelings.  But people's faces say all that needs to be said on the subject.  Isn't love wonderful!


(This is from "Beauty Abounds - Poetry and Prose" published in 2010.)