Thursday, March 27, 2014

Trees



        Trees have got to be one of God's greatest gifts around.  Anyway I choose to look at one of these--standing, sitting up, lying down, I never tire of gazing at trees.  Sometimes when outside on our lawn with one of our dogs, I actually lie down and look up at trees.  In this position, they seem especially majestic to me.

        Desert landscapes no doubt possess a certain beauty.  But for me, all that starkness with no trees in sight would do me in.  I have to be surrounded by trees, love them, cannot imagine living where there weren't lots of them around.  And large trees at that.

        You've heard of people who describe themselves as tree-huggers.  Well, I am one.  And then some.  I have actually put arms around them, or tried to with the big ones.  Trees seem almost alive, in a greater sense than just being living things.  I can imagine them talking to one another on those evenings when all is quiet and the world is asleep.

        There's a place we visit in a local park and as we make the winding climb up three levels of the woods, I see a clearing that I've named my cathedral of the trees.  While I've had my share of uplifted, holy moments while sitting in a church made of stone, I do believe, on a bench at the edge of a lovely forest, I'm quite near the Divine.  I often sit there in reflection, all alone--except for the One who created that beauty.

        And even tree trunks have their interest.  We saw one on a trek through the forest that was full of charm.  This one took home the prize, about three feet  high, bright green moss growing here and there, English ivy up one side, the cutest toadstool at its base.  I could picture tiny creatures abiding in its weather-sculpted crevices.  You've got personality, kid!  I said to myself.

        Then there are the glories of autumn trees.  I could write page after page on the show they put on for us.  When fall comes to East Tennessee, our woods are what I call all green and light, the sunlight softening everything, a few colored leaves making their debut.  Then October, all golden and light, trees with leaves of red, yellow, orange and wine, in stunning variation/combination.  Even in early November, nature's fall palette of brightly-colored leaves are still on display.

        If you haven't done so, consider a trip to New England in the fall, just to see the spectacular foliage.  I once thought when I saw nature calendars showing autumn leaves that the reds were touched up.  Not so.  When we visited Vermont, the colors, particularly those reds were nothing short of dazzling.

        And trees in rain have their wonder for me.  I love to take walks in the rain when it's almost dark and the leaves glisten in the lamp light on our street.  And whether in moonlight or sunlight, rain drops on the tips of leaves look like diamonds to me.

        The American poet, Joyce Kilmer, had it right in my view when he wrote:  "Only God can make a tree."  Can't you just picture trees lifting up their leafy arms in praise to their Creator?

     

     (From "Words Far-Reaching:  Reflections - 2013)